In polite society there are certain subjects one evades and escapes. It’s what we do. Everyone knows a first date can be very much like that famous Charles Dickens line about ‘the best of times and the worst of times.’
Did I Say That Out Loud?
First date? The best thing you can do is relax and be aware of what you say and how much information you share. When ‘Suddenly Single’ people meet for the first time, they may be nervous and may blather on mindlessly. You want to avoid doing that. Seriously.
This is one of those times to be mindful of the conversation and the subject matter. As you navigate merrily down the stream (of consciousness), be aware several subjects you should avoid like the plague.
In Random Order- First Date Topics to Avoid at All Costs
The Top Ten Buzz Kill Subjects:
1. Plagues (i.e. frogs, gnats, flies boils, livestock, locusts)
2. Your Ex and your exploits – B-o-r-i-n-g!
3. Dull times three: Your problematic divorce
4. Your problems (mental, physical, spiritual, emotional)
5. Dating: Details of your recent dates: good or bad or ugly
6. Deaths, dying, funerals – cast a pall on most meetings
7. Are you Kidding? Misbehaving kids. Do not play the game: ‘My Kid is Worse Than Yours’ on a first date. Ever.
8. Money:Financial plights and problems
9. Bad Trips- Don’t mention it. Any Recent forays into rehab, the slammer, big house, or correctional facility
10. Politics can be incendiary. Tread lightly and practice diplomacy. Take a pulse before leaping into a potential inferno. Fox-TV, The Newt, The Mitt, are not loved by all.
Yes, Binkie, the cards should be placed on the table. Choose your cards wisely. Honesty is always the best policy…however, in clichéd reality: discretion is the better part of valor. First impressions are lasting and first dates can only lead to a second date or a “Don’t call me, I’ll call you. Maybe.”
San Francisco Dating@50 Examiner, Page Larkin, welcomes your feedback, questions and queries at Page.Larkin@gmail.com. Don’t miss a single Page Larkin column — click the Subscribe button at the top of the page.Rin