Where do you go to meet women in Marin County? Everywhere…
Demographics, darling… It’s all about demographics.
Take a look: there are more Single Women – per capita- than single men in Marin County.
The Top 10 Places to Meet Women in Marin:
1. Film Festivals – There are more film festivals, per-capita, in Marin than any other county in California. Just being at a film festival is a natural way to encounter a kindred spirit. The Mill Valley Film Festival is the best! In addition to great parties, easy access, stellar movies – there are happy people everywhere…Note: 76% of the volunteers are women.
Best technique: Nonchalantly comment on a genre, director, star, long line, paucity of tickets. It all starts with a smile and a question… “Do you know…” fill in the blank and start a conversation. Lights, camera, action!
2. Trader Joe’s: on Sunday from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m… (and Monday, Tuesday…) Again, engage with a smile and opening line. Ask a question (i.e. “Excuse me, which do you prefer? Hey, do you know how to select good apples?” wine? bread? soap?)
Paradise Market/Tiburon is like a sorority at 5:30 ish. The aisles are crawling with women. Il Fornaio/Corte Madera at 4pm – this where women gather.
(Yes, Virginia, every Whole Foods in Marin falls into same category for great place to pick up…)
3. Lectures – at Book Passages: one of the hottest ticket in Marin County for a parade of amazing authors (Bryan Burroughs, Richard Price, Dennis Lehane, Rick Smolan with Martin Cruz Smith were just there was there SRO– outstanding) grace the small stage. Have a glass of wine and check it out.
Free Special Events usually attract SRO (Standing Room Only) crowds. SEE ALSO: Marin Arts Center, Marin Osher JCC, the Mill Valley Library, Falkirk, San Domenico, etc
4. Volunteer: at the Big Event: the Mill Valley Film Festival – LITQUAKE, the Labor Day Sausalito Art Festival, any Wine Tasting events, Sierra Club, the Human Race, Writer’s Conferences. Bonus: When You volunteer, you get to attend the venue for free and mingle with the attendees. Remember: the Volunteer Party is a “Do not miss.”
5. Yoga classes: Hands down this has to be the best place to meet women, odds are generally 10 women to 1 guy… and women have a soft spot in their hearts (or soles ) for a guy who happens to wander into a yoga class. Do a little research and find Beginner classes and start there.
You’ll thank me. Despite popular Marin Myths- there are not yoga studios on every street corner: Due diligence required.
6. Bookstores – Hey, it’s where we hang out. Note: 76% of all books are sold to Single Women. You do the math. Again: Smile and Ask a Question (i.e “Is this author any good?) See: Copperfields in San Rafael.
7. Cupcake stores, sweet bakeries: (think Sprinkles of the famed Oprah Best-Pick genre). Okay, sweetie, so we indulge. Sit down, have a cup of coffee and engage. Best question to ask “Which is your favorite?” or “I want to buy my mom a treat- what you suggest?”
8.The Book Depot is mecca…or Peet’s at Corte Madera Shopping Center where ‘the elite meet’ before Apple Store Appointments and classes. The Apple Store is teeming with people looking for answers…Join the teem…
9. Wine Shops (VintageWine/Spirits, Marin Bev Outlet, Mill Valley Market, etc ) Aren’t we all looking for the same thing? A decent Pinot noir and a bon soir? Flirt, already.
10. On the Street…at The Rafael Theater- famous for great films, Members Nights, Free Films for the Public. This famous Marin landmark rocks and has a half dozen great Pre-and Post Movie-date cafes, restaurants, ice cream shops within 30 steps…
Shhh…here is a big secret: Women in Marin Love Men Who Dance
It’s not really a secret: from the lines in the loo, to the buffet, and the midnight dessert run, women all heartily agreed; men who dance are a lot more fun and a lot more interesting.
The Take Away: Gentlemen start your lessons: Take beginner lessons, have fun and practice, practice, practice.
Three Local Hot Spots for dancing
- Allegro Ballroom
- The Seahorse in Sausalito
“Go out in the world and work like money doesn’t matter, Sing as if no one is listening,
Love as if you have never been hurt,
and Dance as if no one is watching”
Where else in Marin County?
AT: ICB Sausalito, on the mountain – on the Sunshine Trail – in the elevator, at the Chalk Drawing in San Rafael; Sausalito’s Seahorse Dance Party with a $5 cover charge…walking into the store, in the well lit, safe, busy, parking lot, on the bus, after the movie, at Muir Beach, at Sports Basement, at church, Steep Ravine, Rulli….at dim sum, at Rancho Nicasio, classes at College of Marin, dog walking… at Safeway, at any one of the numerous farmer’s market, Best Buy…at the library….in the waiting room…
Try Meetup.com for walking~ strolling~hiking, sailing, book club groups, quaffing, photography groups in your zip code.
Every single day – there are multiple opportunities to simply say: Hi, Hey, Hello…
And the best line ever: “Have we met? “ (really – the best line ever scripted).
Here’s a little secret: A lot of men might be happy with March Madness, Super Bowl, Sunday/Monday Night football and the myriad sport shows that are on every day, on every channel…
However, girls? Not so much.
Singles: Get out there and play. The true, real recipe for success is to,
Once a day, – say “hi” to ‘a new person.’
Photograph by FREE RANGE STOCK