Q. Where do you go to meet women in Marin County?
Demographics, darling, It’s all about demographics. Take a look – there are more single women – per capita – than single men in Marin County.
Here are Five Great Places to Meet Women:
1. Film Festivals – There are more film festivals per capita in Marin than any other County in California- and just being there is a natural way to encounter a kindred spirit. The Mill Valley Film Festival is the best. In addition to great parties, easy access, stellar movies – there are happy people everywhere. (Note: 72% of the volunteers are female.)
(Best technique: Nonchalantly comment on a genre, director, star, long line, paucity of tickets. It all starts with a question: “Do you know”… fill in the blank and start a conversation. Lights, camera – ACTION.
2. Trader Joe’s on Sunday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m (and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday…) Again, start with an opening line: ask a question – “Excuse me, which do you prefer? Hey, do you know how to select good apples? or What do you do with Brussel Sprouts?” Yes, as simplistic as it may sound.
(Yes, Virginia: Whole Foods falls into same category for great place to pick up…things)
3. Events and Lectures: at Book Passages – hottest ticket in Marin for a parade of amazing authors ( David Sedaris was there for a hilarious reading) grace the small stage. Events (free) usually attract SRO (standing room only) ALSO: Marin Arts Center, Marin Osher JCC, the Mill Valley Library, Falkirk, San Domenico, etc
4. Volunteer – at the Big Event: The Mill Valley Film Festival – LITQUAKE, the Labor Day Sausalito Art Festival, any Wine Tasting Events, Sierra Club EVENTS, the Human Race, Writer’s Conferences. Single Women tend to Volunteer. Bonus: as a volunteer you get to attend the venue for free and mingle with the attendees. Volunteer Party post event: a must.
5. Bookstores: (This is so obvious, its scary) Hey, it’s where we hang out. Note: 67% of all books are sold to Single Women. You do the math. Think: The Depot or Book Passages in Corte Madera or Copperfields in San Rafael. Hop a ferry to the San Francisco Book Passages Store. Again: Smile, eye contact and ask a question i.e “Do you like this book? Do you have a favorite author?”
Shhh…here is a little secret: Women Love Men Who Dance
It’s not really a secret: from the lines in the loo, to the buffet, and the midnight dessert run, women all heartily agree: men who dance are a lot more fun and a lot more interesting.
The Take away: Gentlemen start your lessons: Take beginner lessons, have fun and practice, practice, practice.
Three Local Hot Spots for dancing
- Allegro Ballroom
- The Seahorse in Sausalito
“Go out in the world and work like money doesn’t matter,
Sing as if no one is listening,
Love as if you have never been hurt,
and Dance as if no one is watching”
Where else in Marin County?
AT: ICB Sausalito, on the mountain – on the Sunshine Trail – in the elevator, at the Chalk Drawing in San Rafael; Sausalito’s Seahorse Dance Party with a $5 cover charge…walking into the store, in the well lit, safe, busy, parking lot, on the bus, after the movie, at Muir Beach, at Sports Basement, at church, Steep Ravine, Rulli….at dim sum, at Rancho Nicasio, classes at College of Marin, dog walking… at Safeway… at any one of the numerous farmer’s market…at the library….in the waiting room…
No SECRET ~ get thee to MEETUP.com for walking~ strolling~hiking groups, quaffing, photography groups …
Follow me on Facebook