Do you need a map, a compass, or GPS just to find
the on-ramp to the Bliss Highway of Life?
Here are Five Easy Ways to get ‘Back in the Dating Saddle’ and ride off into sunset.
1. Ride On. There will always be a Greek chorus of friends and family urging you to get back on the horse. Ready to start dating, again? If you have images of a sweet pony ride dancing in your head, be prepared. The 2010 foray in dating is more like the electronic bull you remember from that John Travolta movie, Urban Cowboy. Best advice: “Better buckle up. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.” Get in the game and enjoy the new adventures in the unique and novel Date World 2010.
2. Adopt and embrace the C’est la vie attitude. You know, life is short and why waste time? Refrain from perching over a phone waiting for it to ring or checking your emails 10 times a day. Your mother was right: “Go outside and play”. You have to perform the ‘due diligence’ and find out where the action is (See: Top Ten Places to Meet Men and Women in Marin and SF)
3. You’re not alone. There are 20+ million singles back in the dating game. Many are bored playing Solitaire and are ready to play a rousing game of Hearts. Get out of the house and join a walking, hiking, biking, rowing, kayaking, birding, debate, tennis, ping pong, or spelunking club. See Meetup.com for hundreds of organizations in your zip code.
4. Volunteer. check out the Litquake or the Mill Valley Film Festival Festival- both reputed to be a Bay Area’s ‘most popular events of the year’. See San Francisco’s two very popular organizations: St Anthony’s, One Brick.org for volunteer opportunities.Check Craigslist for volunteer lisitings – do a good deed and meet new people. Volunteers are Love in Motion.
5. Your Mother was wrong. Do talk to strangers. Everyday. It’s okay, and heartily recommended that you smile and say “hey” to five strangers every single day. Try this new mantra on for size: Flirt, flirt, and flirt again.
It’s a well-known fact: Dating at 50 is a lot more fun than dating at 20. Think about it: you are a lot more interesting, smarter, sexier and have way better life’s stories. And, you don’t have to ask your mom to borrow the car. Come on in, the water is delicious.
It’s not a secret: from the lines in the loo, to the buffet, and the midnight dessert run, women all heartily agreed; men who dance are a lot more fun and a lot more interesting.
The Take away: Gentlemen start your lessons: Take beginner lessons, have fun and practice, practice, practice.
Three Local Hot Spots for dancing
- Allegro Ballroom
- The Seahorse in Sausalito
“Go out in the world and work like money doesn’t matter, Sing as if no one is listening, Love as if you have never been hurt, and Dance as if no one is watching”
San Francisco Dating@50 Examiner, Page Larkin, welcomes your feedback, questions and queries at Page.Larkin@gmail.com