Yes, there is a lot of drivel and dribble on the silver screen today
Lists change like fashions and the seasons. In addition, everyone has an opinion.
However, if you are standing in the aisles of Blockbuster or are quaking in a queue at Netflix, here are my Top Ten Classic Romantic Comedies, guaranteed to make you laugh, smile, sigh, maybe cry, and dream.
- Four Weddings and a Funeral – The movie where many of us first fell in love with Hugh Grant and huge hats at weddings.
- Sullivan’s Travels – Preston Sturges at his finest – again
- Serendipity – John Cusak and Kate Beckinsale meet fatefully at Christmas, go their separate ways and, years later, fate blissfully reconnects the two sweet~hearts.
- Sleepless in Seattle – Nora Ephron’s film with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan based on just about everyone’s most favorite film, “An Affair to Remember”.
- Love, Actually– Real holiday magic with a galaxy of stars at Christmastime in jolly old England.
- Bringing Up Baby- A true Hepburn and Grant Classic screwball. Directed by Howard Hawks
- An Affair to Remember – Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant – the 1957 all time Classic Romance film.
- Something’s Gotta Give– Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson – a new twist on a coming of age story.
- An UnMarried Woman – Jill Clayburgh – The first film in this flavor – Happy wife gets dumped and rises to the occasion with wit and flourish
- The Proposal Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds – you can see Russia and hilarious romance in this very funny film staged in Alaska. Betty White steals scenes in the film.
Preston Sturges’ golden rules for successful comedy: ”
A pretty girl is better than a plain one/ A leg is better than an arm/ A bedroom is better than a living room/ An arrival is better that a departure/ A birth is better than a death/ A chase is better than a chat/ A dog is better than a landscape/ A kitten is better than a dog/ A baby is better than a kitten/ A kiss is better than a baby/ A pratfall is better than anything.”